Nasal Saline Irrigation
Nasal irrigation is a procedure that you can do at home to rinse out and clear the nasal passages. Nasal saline irrigation is recommended to help relieve allergies and sinus symptoms, including: nasal dryness, sinus pressure and nasal congestion, nasal symptoms from cold and flu, post nasal drip, and to prevent sinus infections and allergic rhinitis. Allergies and infections cause excessive mucus production. A nasal rinse will wash away excess mucus and allergy-causing irritants, such as pollen, dust, and bacteria. This will help reduce the inflammation of the mucus membrane.
Our office recommends the NeilMed® Sinus Rinse™ and the NeilMed® Nasaflo Neti Pot™ for nasal irrigation.
Sinus Rinse™ and Nasaflo Neti Pot™ Instructions:
- Fill the clean bottle or pot with warm water (distilled is preferred) to the fill line (8 oz.).
- Pour the contents of the Sinus Rinse mixture into the bottle. Secure the top on the bottle and shake to dissolve the mixture. For the Neti Pot, be sure to place one finger over the hole of the cap to dissolve the mixture. The mixture is a hypertonic solution of sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate.
- Stand over the sink and tilt your head down. Keeping your mouth open, without holding your breath, place the tip of the device against your nasal passage. Squeeze the bottle gently, or pour if you are using the Neti Pot, until the solution starts draining from the opposite nasal passage. Some may drain from your mouth. This is a good indication that you are irrigating the entire nose properly. Aim the solution as though you are trying to squirt the back of your head, NOT the top of your head. For a proper rinse, keep squeezing the bottle gently until you have used about ½ of the solution.
- Blow your nose gently without pinching your nose completely, while tilting your head forward, to help drain any residual solution.
- Now repeat steps 3 and 4 for the other nasal passage.
- Clean the device, and discard any remaining solution in the container.
Rinse your nose once or twice daily, unless otherwise directed by your physician.
CAUTION: Rinsing your nose with only Plain Water will result in a severe burning sensation. Be sure to use the Sinus Rinse™, a pH balanced mixture.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call our office at 585-342-2080.